You talk too much, You worry me to death, You talk too much, You even worry my pet…
The above lyrics, from the song You Talk Too Much by Joe Jones, sum up a communication distraction that many people have in the workplace – not expressing themselves succinctly.
If you over-talk, you may limit your opportunities for advancement. Other consequences are that people may not want to work for you, or do business with you.
Talking too much is not limited to individuals in any one profession. I have coached IT directors, chief financial officers, sales directors, and marketing managers who needed to learn how to express themselves in fewer words.
But you can’t eliminate what you don’t know you are doing. Pay attention to how you communicate. Do any of the following examples of over-talking apply to you?
1. Giving too much information. During a meeting, a supervisor was asked where he had bought his watch. Instead of saying something like, “At a great local store when I was on vacation in San Francisco,” he went into a five-minute monologue about searching six different stores to find the perfect watch. If people need more detail, they will ask you. One IT director eliminated a lot of the detail in his emails, but added a closing sentence: “If you need additional information, just let me know.” So far, no one has asked!
2. Using too many words. Instead of “Let’s get together next week,” the person might say, “I was just thinking that, you know, if you have some time and are not busy, we ought to get together next week.” Say what you need to say in as few words as necessary.
3. Repeating the same thing over and over. Make your comments, and then shut your mouth! Repeating your points can annoy others.
4. Repeating what someone said in different words. Some repetition can confirm to the other person that you have heard what he or she has said. But in a group meeting, too much repetition can be viewed as one-upmanship – the need to let everyone know that you also knew that information.
5. Offering your opinion when it’s not necessary. This can happen if you don’t read the cues from other meeting participants that no more discussion is needed; or if you insist on offering additional points at the end of a meeting when everyone else is ready to leave.
6. Correcting when it’s not necessary. Do you feel compelled to point out small mistakes in other people’s information? You can come off as a nit-picker when you correct things of little consequence.
Once you realize that you’re an over-talker, you can work to eliminate this habit. Ask a trusted colleague or coach to help. This person can point out when you are talking too much. You can also use your voicemail system. Listen to how you describe something on the messages you leave for others. If you are too wordy, redo the message. Or, come up with a unique solution that works for you. One manager puts the initials KIS at the top of his papers to remind himself to Keep It Short when he speaks at meetings.
Additional information on annoying communication habits can be found in my new book, The Essentials of Business Etiquette: How to Greet, Eat, and Tweet Your Way to Success.
Pachter & Associates provides training and coaching on communication skills. For additional information, contact Joyce Hoff at 856.751.6141 or email@example.com
Several of the schools contacted required placement exams that I did not challenge, as I am adept and very capable of dealing with college examinations. For the quality writing PhD holders essay writers is best one and really awesome custom essay writing service providers.ReplyDelete
. The service providers who give mind boggling offers are not honest to goodness like low cost. After they scammed you, you will never get notification from them likewise you will never recover the cash as they don't promise your cash back. So pick always a top essay writing services provider from online with a complete study and some advance techniques.ReplyDelete
lebron james shoes 13ReplyDelete
kevin durant 8 shoes
louis vuitton handbags
canada goose coats
ray ban wayfarer
ugg boots sale
coach factory outlet
uggs pas cher
michael kors outlet
toms shoes outlet
coach factory outlet
ray ban sunglasses
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet store online
michael kors outlet
michael kors handbags
jordan 11 concord
kate spade outlet
dallas mavericks jerseys
uggs on sale
I’ve been surfing on-line greater than three hoursReplyDelete
as of late, yet I never found any fascinating article like
yours. It’s pretty worth sufficient for me. In my opinion,
if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the net will probably be a lot more useful than ever before.
My Web : we like to honor numerous other world wide web web pages around the web,
Penangkal Petir Mueven though they arent linked to us, Penangkal Petir by linking to them.
red bottom heels
coach factory outlet online
ralph lauren sale
michael kors handbags outlet
louis vuitton bags
white sox jerseys
kate spade handbags