She looks completely different from her photo.
I couldn't believe she had sunglasses on her head!
The comments above were made about photographs accompanying profiles on LinkedIn. Unfortunately, many businesspeople post photographs of themselves on LinkedIn and other social media sites that detract from their professionalism.
I have written about this before, but it’s a message that bears repeating: Your professional image is conveyed through your photograph. It’s part of the first impression you make on others. You should post a photograph that is professionally appropriate, and makes you look like a credible, approachable person – not like someone who just came from the beach.
In another life, I was a professional photographer – the first woman photographer at what was then one of the largest ten newspapers in the country – so I offer the following as my recommended guidelines for photographs used in any professional context:
1. Post a headshot. This type of photograph highlights your head/face, but often shows your shoulders and part of your chest. People can see you clearly in this type of shot. Avoid posting an environmental portrait, one that places you in a setting that relates to your profession, as your face is usually a smaller part of such a photograph. These pictures are often used as additional photos on a website, and are not recommended for headshot postings.
2. Choose a photo that flatters you. Sounds obvious, but people don’t always pay attention to their choices. I am not suggesting you need a glamour shot, but you should look like a competent professional in the photograph.
3. Use a clear, uncluttered background that is well lit. There shouldn't be any dark shadows obscuring your face. People must be able to see you clearly.
4. Make sure your face is in focus. The background may be slightly out of focus, but your features need to be sharp, not blurred. Let people see your eyes. Wearing dark glass hides them.
5. Wear appropriate professional or business-casual attire. Appear as you usually would in a business situation. This may mean that you are freshly shaven, or wearing make-up and jewelry. Do not let your accessories (earrings, necklace, glasses) overpower your headshot. Additional information on business dress can be found in my new book, The Essentials of Business Etiquette: How to Greet, Eat, and Tweet Your Way to Success (McGraw-Hill).
6. Look at the camera and keep your head straight. Women have a tendency to tilt their heads. Why? I don’t know. But I do believe they look less self-assured when they do.
7. Have a pleasant facial expression. If you are frowning or scowling, why would I want to hire or work with you?
8. Look like your photograph. If your photo is more than 8 to 10 years old, people may be very surprised when they meet you. If you had long hair in your photo and now have short hair, people may not recognize you.
9. Hire a professional photographer. If all of this seems overwhelming, hire someone who takes photos for a living. It’s worth the investment.
It had been almost 10 years since my last corporate headshot was taken, so I decided to practice what I preach – I hired a professional photographer (Maria Martins of Unique Imagery) to take my new photograph. Let me know what you think.
Pachter & Associates provides training and coaching on business etiquette and communication. For more information, contact Joyce Hoff at 856.751.6141 or email@example.com.
I enjoyed your article as always. You write well and provide valuable content. I also like your new photo. You did follow your own advice. May I add one piece of advice that I received before my first professional photo was taken. Get your hair and makeup done by a professional before the shoot. I am not one who regularly visits beauty salons, but for photo shoots I do. Best, Lydia Ramsey
Thanks, Lydia. Good advice. Hope all is well.Delete
I like the article but I think your photo is a little too photo-shopped. It is way too "glowy". Embrace the fine lines on your face. We've earned them. :DReplyDelete
From a reader:ReplyDelete
Barbara, thank you for your timely recommendations!
I really feel looking at white and black portrait digital photography with it's video equal is like assessing apples with oranges. They merely are not the same thing in look and feel. I discussed this in more detail to some extent 1 on this series moved here. When speaking with photographer Hellen Truck Meene she explain motion picture as experiencing "secret". Now I'm unsure exactly what the techical phrase for wonder is but creatively I am aware precisely what Hellen signifies.ReplyDelete
The growth in the wage gap between dropouts and high school graduates, particularly during the 70-488 braindumps stemmed largely from changes in the economy that increased the demand for particular skills during a period in which the supply of workers possessing those skills grew more slowlyReplyDelete
And I do imagine it's making a giant distinction as a result of I'm a big tea drinker and up to now so good. snowparkseiseralm.comReplyDelete
Dude, you have come to give a good impression on computer for performing a business. I must follow your advice to maintain a business. Thanks. playgarrysmodblog.wordpress.comReplyDelete
I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.ReplyDelete
Digital Marketing Company in Chennai Digital Marketing Agency
SEO Company in India SEO Services in India
Digital Marketing Company in Chennai
beats by dr dreReplyDelete
los angeles dodgers jerseys
coach outlet online
yeezy boost 350
kate spade outlet
There are times when month to month consumption crosses the spending line and you are left with no cash to tolerate any sort of startling money related weight, for example, broken auto or a dire voyaging or doctor's visit expenses.ReplyDelete
This is on account of you can get an advance inside the day, get affirmed regardless of the possibility that you have a terrible credit record, or get the cash through your sparing record no inquiries inquire! An arrangement of a lifetime? Not by any means!ReplyDelete
They access the costs version of the application, and the blur video app we are going to share the functioning vivavideo pro apk 2017.ReplyDelete