Many people in my writing seminars tell me similar stories.
A contraction, according to the Gregg Reference Manual, a respected writing resource, is “a shortened form of a word or phrase in which an apostrophe indicates the omitted letters or words: for example, don’t for do not.”
My response to my colleague and to the participants in my seminars is always the same: "Why can't we use contractions? We use them when we speak, so why isn't it okay to write with them?”
A primary goal of writing is to connect with your reader, and your choice of words helps to make that connection. There aren't any non-verbal clues to help make your point when you email someone – the reader doesn't see the smile on your face or hear the friendly tone of your voice. (Yes, I know there are emoticons, but I do not encourage their use in business writing.)
Using contractions helps you to convey a conversational tone. It makes the communication sound more personal and friendly, and less like a directive. Listen to the difference: “Let's go to the conference on Monday,” or, “Let us go to the conference on Monday.” Don’t you think the second version sounds rather stilted?
Here are my suggestions for using contractions successfully in business writing:
1. Think about your use of contractions. It may not be first on your list of business concerns, but the quality of your writing is important. Do you use contractions? One of my interns had the courage to point out to me that I used contractions a lot. I hadn't realized just how much until she said something. I really valued that feedback.
2. Do not overuse them. Just because you can use contractions in your writing in today's business world, doesn't mean you should always use them. Read your documents out loud to hear how your use of contractions sounds. If your writings sound choppy, chances are you are using too many contractions.
3. Avoid excessively casual contractions. Some contractions sound sloppy. For example: "You'd" for "you would," or “she’s” for “she has.” I recommend not using them in business writing. And please, don’t ever be tempted by double contractions, such as "shouldn’t’ve" for "should not have."
4. Know what your boss prefers. If your boss does not want you to use contractions, don't! This is not (isn't) rocket science, and is not worth fighting over.
5. Understand the difference between it's and its. A common mistake involves the difference between "it's" – which is the contraction for "it is" – and the possessive "its." The way to remember the difference between them is that the apostrophe in "it's" means something is missing. If you aren’t sure, read your sentence aloud and then substitute the non-contraction form (in this case, “it is”) to see whether it still makes sense. (It’s time to put the pencil in its case, for example. If you had an erroneous apostrophe in the second its, the sentence wouldn’t make sense.) People often use the wrong form in their writings, and others love to point out their mistakes. Don't give them the opportunity!
Your use of contractions may not seem like a big deal, but it is one of the many little things that can impact your writings, and therefore worthy of your attention. Additional information on business writing can be found in my new book, The Essentials of Business Etiquette: How to Greet, Eat, and Tweet Your Way to Success (McGraw Hill).
Pachter & Associates provides training and coaching on business writing and communication. For more information, contact Joyce Hoff at 856.751.6141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From a reader:ReplyDelete
Thanks for this much needed and excellent post, Barbara. For decades the use of contractions has been an accepted style in some business communications, such as intra-company publications -- magazines, newsletters and the like -- and in consumer writing. You are correct that it makes the writer sound natural. I use contractions in my blogging. I also agree that one should not go overboard in the use of contractions -- with the exception of fiction writing -- and should avoid them when writing business letters, formal proposals and other official corporate documents.
From a reader:ReplyDelete
When I learned English here in Portugal, a long time ago, the rule was also to avoid contractions when writing.
These days we a communicating at such frequency & speed, however, creating and using "new" contractions, it seems difficult to avoid its use.
Thanks for the article. Interesting!
From a reader:ReplyDelete
You didn't say anything about ain't.
Thank you for bringing that up. The use of "ain't" is not acceptable.Delete
Thank you very much, I have found this extremely useful!ReplyDelete
House Mover Services
It my be good for some people and they appreciate it but I couldn’t agree on many of things here. Actually, I suppose I could, but restrain myself. More writers should use this tool. Furthermore, writers should keep their audience in mind at all times and then only write.ReplyDelete
If your very good cholesterol amounts will not be as high as they must be, you simply must search for one or more source of low HDL simply because you should make a move to raise these kind of amounts which are thought to be balanced along with perfect for your body. Small amounts increases the chance connected with having one or more unique cardiovascular health conditions and thus while you note that these kind of amounts are generally low, you need to do a thing to ensure these people rise into a proper count. Contraction for more than oneReplyDelete
In this post, you'll find out how to seek the services of the best songs enjoyment for your marriage. Just like choosing any other expert, such as a videographer or an experienced photographer, you'll want a good service which matches your design marriage. You also want enjoyment that will be kept in mind for the right factors, especially enjoyment that won't surpass your unique day, but add and supplement it Carol contractionReplyDelete
the measure of Payday Loans approved has expanded fourfold in Britain; notwithstanding the across the board disgrace and watchfulness that is whispered against them. Their spoilers think of them as unsafe and a trap, while their sponsor consider them to be satisfying a crevice in the market for the individuals who neglect to build up better credit extensions.ReplyDelete
The payday advance organizations, in any case, contend that they should put high enthusiasm with each endorsement they make since they are loaning cash to people they don't have a clue. By the by, the borrowers should pay the cost of applying for payday advance.ReplyDelete
Auto title advances work much like payday credits and have comparative terms. In the event that the credit is reimbursed in two weeks, the advance is resigned. In the event that the credit is not reimbursed, the borrower can for the most part recharge it for an additional two weeks by paying the expense a moment time.ReplyDelete
Use your Mastercard for making earnest installments. Typically charge card credit's financing cost is low; even you need to pay nothing as intrigue on the off chance that you reimburse the advance inside a month. Again you spare $15-$30 by not paying the credit intrigue.ReplyDelete